The New York-North Jersey Chapter of AMC has a winter ski program that includes Nordic cross country and alpine downhill. Typical trips include:
- Cross-country day trips to touring centers which have groomed trails, set tracks, a warming hut, and a trail fee. Equipment rental and lessons are usually available. The trails offer skiing for the novice and experienced skier. Beginners can take a morning lesson offered by the center and then join the AMC group in the afternoon.
- Cross-country day trips to state parks and forests where skiing is off track on woods roads and trails. No trail fees, on site equipment rental or commercial lessons. Check the trip description or with the leader for the required skill level.
- Alpine downhill day trips for skiers and riders. The group usually divides according to skill level and gathers at lunch or après ski. Destinations are often ski areas which have bus service from Long Island, New York City, and North Jersey available.
- Weekend trips to the Adirondacks, Catskills, or Green Mountains. Check with the leader regarding transportation, lodging, and meal arrangements.
Trip leaders usually do not provide lessons for first-time skiers. Lessons from professional ski schools are available at alpine downhill areas. For novice cross-country skiers, the following areas within a 2.5-hour drive of New York City offer equipment rental and lessons:
Cross-country skiing at AMC’s Mohican Outdoor Center
AMC’s Mohican Outdoor Center in the Kittatinny Mountains of New Jersey can be used as a base to cross-country ski. Find out more about transportation to and reservations at Mohican. There are several good tours within a few miles, especially Blue Mountain Lakes. Remember, ski with a partner, and please don’t go out in the woods alone in winter.
Other cross-country skiing in New York and New Jersey
- Fahnestock Winter Park – Hudson Highlands near Cold Spring, NY. (845) 225-3998
- Minnewaska State Park – West of New Paltz, NY. (845) 255-0752
- Mohonk Mountain House – West of New Paltz, NY. (845) 256-2101
- High Point State Park – Located in New Jersey’s northwest corner. (973) 702-1222
- Mountain Trails – Catskill Mountains near Tannersville, NY. (518) 589-5361
Ski with the New York-North Jersey Chapter
Join our Google group email@example.com for more up to date info about conditions, equipment, and possible upcoming trips. Check the AMC Activities Database for scheduled trips. For more information about our skiing program, either join the Google group above and ask there or email firstname.lastname@example.org