At the New York-North Jersey Chapter’s Annual Meeting and Dinner in November, we present awards to show appreciation of a member’s special contributions:
APPIE OF THE YEAR AWARD – For an individual who gives selflessly of him/herself for the good of the Club; one who works tirelessly, often behind the scenes, organizing, leading in fact and by example; someone who has served in this manner for several years, thus over time continuing this commitment; an active volunteer, rather than someone who served well in the past, or for a limited time. The Appie exemplifies what is best about the volunteer ethic that makes our Club, and particularly our Chapter, so special.
INSPIRATION AWARD – For a member who embodies the spirit of our chapter and inspires others by leading, mentoring, or encouraging leadership or activity for AMC this year.
AMBASSADOR AWARD – For a member who encourages others to participate with AMC or promotes AMC and our Chapter by recruiting, advocating, and speaking for or representing AMC at events (including in office, outside venue or related to an activity), etc. this year.
UNSUNG HERO AWARD – The Unsung Hero Award is given to the member who supports the Chapter behind the scenes, in less visible or celebrated ways. This may include handling membership or communication initiatives, trails work or public service, other committee work, or record keeping, etc.
- Appie of the Year – Carrie Ho, Incoming Chapter Secretary, former Membership Chair; leader for New Members programs and the Chapter’s Speaker Series
- Inspirational Volunteer – Crystal Williams, Chair of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
- Ambassador Award – Ilene Greenfield, Outdoing Secretary
- Unsung Hero Award – Jen McCaffery, Communications Chair
- Appie of the Year – Eileen Yin, Executive Committee/Harriman Programs/Canoe & Kayak/Biking/Programs
- Inspirational Volunteer – Rita Cohen, Hike Leader
- Ambassador Award – RJ Lau, Climbing Committee
- Unsung Hero Award – Peter Gourri, Programs Committee
- Appie of the Year – Loretta Brady, Canoe & Kayak
- Inspirational Volunteer – Eileen Yin, Executive Committee/Harriman Programs/Canoe & Kayak/Biking
- Ambassador Award – Carrie Ho, Membership
- Unsung Hero Award – Mike Handelsman, Hiking
- Appie of the Year – Diane Serlin, Fire Island
- Inspirational Volunteer – John Maeir, Fire Island
- Ambassador Award – Akasha Solis and Ashley Stein, Young Members
- Unsung Hero Award – Jonathan Silver, Wilderness First Aid
- Appie of the Year – Nathan Baker, Executive Committee Vice Chair
- Inspirational Volunteer – David Mong, Backpacking Committee
- Ambassador Award – Russell Faller, Skiing / Backpacking / Canoe & Kayak Committees
- Unsung Hero Award – Miho Izumi Estay, Softball Committee
- Appie of the Year – Joe Nigro, Hiking Committee
- Inspirational Volunteer – Ken Elion, Hiking Committee
- Ambassador Award – Butch Futrell, Canoe & Kayak Committee
- Unsung Hero Award – Susan Bernstein, Communications Committee
- Appie of the Year – David Lamb, Hiking Committee
- Inspirational Volunteer Award – Loretta Brady, Canoe & Kayak Committee
- Ambassador Award – Lisa Williams, Young Members Committee
- Unsung Hero Award – Tat Yuen, Communications Committee
Past Recipients for Appie of the Year Award are: Helen Fair, John Humbach, Jean Lumbard, Anita Barberis, Fran Braley, Ann Loeb, Dick Wolff, Wayne Foote, Dr. Albert Rosen, Betty Van De Water, Doris Repke, Jane Levenson, Don Getzen, Henry Schreiber, Marty Cohen, Art and Nancy Tollefson, Ken West, Jonathan Silver, David Brucas, Carson Tang, Bob Susser, Lennie Grefig, Cynthia Tollo Falls, Frank Bamberger, Martin Plante, Rita Cohen, David Lamb, Joe Nigro, Nathan Baker, Diane Serlin, and Loretta Brady.